Handgun Carry Permit Reciprocity
Recognition of Out-of-State Handgun Carry Permits
- Tennessee now recognizes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state according to its terms, and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun only in the state of Tennessee.
- The person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in Tennessee.
- Tennessee will enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of such agreements.
- If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. Such person will be processed as a renewal applicant if the eligibility requirements of the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee. View application requirements by state for persons holding a Handgun Carry Permit from another state and applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit.
- A person who is employed in this state for at least thirty (30) hours a week for six (6) consecutive months is required to obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit within six (6) months from the last day of the sixth month of regular employment in Tennessee. A Tennessee handgun carry permit will be issued in this situation only if the other state has eligibility requirements that are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee. If the eligibility requirements from the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee, Tennessee may issue a Tennessee permit to the person employed in this state under the renewal provisions of Tennessee law.
States with Reciprocity Agreements
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
(Note: Persons with a valid Tennessee Handgun Carry permit should contact any state for information on carrying such handgun prior to entering the state.)
States without Reciprocity Agreements
These states do not have Reciprocity Agreements with Tennessee. Some of them do, however, recognize Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits.
Recognize TN Permits
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
Do Not Recognize TN Permits
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island